Workforce Planning Portal
STEP TWO: DATA COLLECTION
An Environmental Scan can be commonly defined as:
an analysis and evaluation of internal conditions and external data and factors that affect the organization.
The first step to conducting an Environmental Scan is to collect external and internal data relevant to the workforce. An agency needs to thoroughly understand the external and internal factors, and trends, that may affect its current workforce in order to successfully plan for the future.
- Worksheet - Conducting an Environmental Scan (Microsoft Word form)
Other Data-Collection Tools
- Using Exit Interviews and Surveys - Collect internal data about why people leave an agency.
- Sample - Organizational Assessment Form - Conduct an organizational climate assessment using the Likert model.
Calculate the Cost of Staff Turnover
- Online Turnover Calculator - from Career Systems International
- Guidelines - Calculating the Cost of Staff Turnover (PDF)
- The Turnover Tool Kit: A Guide to Understanding and Reducing Employee Turnover (PDF 1MG file)
ENVIRONMENTAL SCANS & ASSESSMENT:
Conduct an Environmental Scan
> STEP THREE: DATA ANALYSIS
DATA COLLECTION TOOLS: