Workforce Planning Portal
STEP TWO: DATA COLLECTION
Data Collection Quick Steps
Five Steps to Completing an Environmental Scan and SWOT Analysis
Step 1: External Scan: Identify the types of external information to collect for your Environmental Scan and potential sources of this information.
- Checklist: External Factors (Microsoft Word form)
Step 2: Internal Scan: Identify the types of internal (within your agency) information to collect for the Environmental Scan and sources of this information.
- Checklist: Internal Factors (Microsoft Word form)
Step 3: SWOT Analysis: Collect and document your results.
Step 4: Capture SWOT Analysis feedback from staff.
Step 5: Conduct a SWOT Analysis meeting to brainstorm and refine your SWOT Analysis information.
Five Steps to Completing a Supply/Demand Analysis
Step 1: Determine the job classifications that will be the focus of your Workforce Planning analysis.
- Worksheet: Targeted Classification (Microsoft Word form)
Step 2: Determine the competencies (knowledge, skills, behaviors, personal attributes, or other characteristics that are associated with or predictive of superior job performance) necessary for your agency to succeed in its mission and strategic objectives.
- Worksheet: Competency Menu Rating Form (Microsoft Word form)
Step 3: Determine the changes in the number of employees needed in the targeted classifications in the future.
- Worksheet: Workload Change (Microsoft Word form)
Step 4: Forecast attrition from the targeted classifications.
- Worksheet: Attrition Projection (Microsoft Word form)
Step 5: Further refine your forecasting of retirements and/or promotions.
- Sample Survey: Retirement Intention Survey (Microsoft Word form)
Gather Data on Why Employees Leave Your Agency
- Download a sample employee Exit Survey (Microsoft Word form)
- Download a sample Exit Survey for Child Welfare Workers (Microsoft Word form)
- Develop your own online employee Exit Survey - some inexpensive professional online survey options include:
- Survey Monkey
- Download sample Exit Interview Questions (PDF)
ENVIRONMENTAL SCANS & ASSESSMENT:
> STEP THREE: DATA ANALYSIS
DATA COLLECTION TOOLS: